[CF-Devel] Hey, slow down a bit!

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Thu Apr 12 02:02:52 CDT 2001

Preston Crow wrote:

      If someone is messing with code that changes some little-used feature, they

      may grep around and find that the unfinished map is using it.

 we can hope this happens, but I'm not sure how often this will really happen.

      If the person developing the map doesn't finish it, someone else can.

      (It's being distributed under the GPL, so that's fair game.)

 yep - and certainly there have been cases in the past where this has happened.
Of course, you have to be careful that someone else doesn't start working on it
while you are.

      People can look at the new maps (in dm mode, someone can just jump in and

      play).  This can provide a source of feedback for the map developer.  Also,

      feedback can be the best way to get someone to get around to completing the

      map; it will get them thinking about it again.

 True.

      Also, there are different levels of unfinished maps.  Some are completely

      worthless to players.  Others may have interesting quests, but just not

      have the final touches on some parts.

 True.

      On the other hand, the unfinished maps that are in the main distribution

      haven't seen much work in a long time.  Look at Skud's tower, for example.

      Or Lake_Country/Sunset_Lake.

 Also true.

 I would suggest that maps far from being used/ready get put in something like a
maps/dev (or maybe an alternate distribution).  This will make it easier to
include these extra maps from the official distributions, and also keep it
easier to know what maps are in development and what are ready for playing.  I
don't really want 60 directories in /maps as everyone checks in their maps which
are not close to being ready.