[CF-Devel] client pickup/sorting issue

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Thu Apr 12 02:31:27 CDT 2001

Preston Crow wrote:

      There's a problem with the client sorting messing up picking up.  If you

      use the comma key to pick up the top item, but you have a container open,

      the client will have sorted the contents of the container, which will make

      the item that is picked up be essentially random from the player's

      perspective.

      I'm not sure what the right solution is, but if nothing else, this could be

      added to the to-do list as issues to solve eventually.

 The right thing is for the client not to assume the stacking of the objects
beneath it or in any containers.  The client should be changed not to send
arbitrary pickup command without options - if you just use the comma key, for
example, the client should look and see what object appears to it to be picked
up, and send that tag to the server.

 Doing this has another advantage in that preserving the ordering of the look
window would no longer be needed.  When the player picks up/drops on item,
instead of resending the entire stack, we could just resend that one item that
changed, making things more efficient.