[CF-Devel] reduction of data when casting spells

Peter Mardahl peterm at alfven.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Apr 13 13:30:18 CDT 2001

      Peter Mardahl wrote:

      > Er, if this is *exactly* what you asked me to do, then I misunderstood you.

      > What he's talking about is not SENDING everything to the client.

      > What I thought we discussed was merging, on the server, the various

      > spells.

      > PeterM

      What I meant was merging all the spells of one type, so if you get hit

Please never use the word "merging spells" ever again, or people will
ignore your idea.  We've discussed "merging spell objects", and
the consensus is it's either impossible or so difficult that it's
not worth the effort.

Now, what you're saying, is if we have 5 icestorms in a particular
square, we send 1 icestorm object to the client only so the player
sees an icestorm.  There's no merging going on.

Hell, maybe we can send 1 icestorm with nrof 5, and if the player clicks,
he'll see "5 icestorms."

I don't know how easy this would be to implement, but it's at least
possible, while merging the spell objects on the server is practically
impossible.

PeterM

      by cold cold fear cold fear poison you only see cold fear poison.

      It would still be slow when standing on a pile with lots of stuff but

      then it usually isn't as dangerous as when fighting certain monsters.

      And the more spells a monsters casts the more dangerous that monster

      usually is, but then the connection is also slower so it gets yet more

      dangerous than the monster itself is.

      I don't really mind when it's a bit slower while I'm identifying

      everything I found but I do mind if I get killed because I wasn't able

      to heal myself when I hit the key. I died fairly often that way because

      I hit restoration but it took more than 5 seconds till my spell got

      applied. Sometimes too late because I was already standing on my bed in

      Scorn with a lot of levels less.

      That is really annoying for me and also for lots of others that's why

      I've been asking if it was possible to reduce the amount of data in that

      way.

      Phil

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com