[CF-Devel] BUG: hit_player(): Encountered golem without owner

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Mon Apr 16 11:11:02 CDT 2001

peterm wrote:

      Crash #22:  (Some sort of golem bug?)

      Adding friendly object gatehouse guard.

      [...]

      BUG: hit_player(): Encountered golem without owner.

This bug has been around for quite a while now. It appears
frequently in the server logs, so I looked what causes that.

The answer is very simple: Whenever a player kills an npc
(monster) with the friendly flag set, we get this bug message
in the logs "BUG: hit_player(): Encountered golem without owner".

Now looking at the code (hit_player in server/attack.c), I
discovered that this bug message is totally misplaced and
just wrong. Even worse, it has "llevError" set, so if there are
too many of em, the server might exit.

The reason why this message is in the code: Someone
obviously expected every monster with "friendly 1" to be a golem.
And if a golem has no owner, that is a bug. But this assumption
is totally wrong. There's plenty of friendly npcs, and they are NOT
golems, nor do they have an owner.

Therefor, unless someone proves me wrong, I'd like the remove this
misplaced bug-message from hit_player().

Andreas V.