[CF-Devel] discussing... race vulns.

Peter Mardahl peterm at alfven.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Apr 16 12:20:43 CDT 2001

Leave it as it is.  It can wait until AV's patch goes in.
Mark, this is a patch to improve balance.  May it go in before
1.0?

PeterM

      > Well after all that, is it okay if I change all the players that have

      > anything >20 on the three major resistances to have it reduced?

      > These monsters include,

      > wraith -> fire -30

      > fireborn -> cold -30

      > Q -> cold -30

      > troll -> fire -30

      > The reason being it is simply to much to have players not being able to

      > reach even 80. Although 80 in itself is not alot, if the player wants to

      > try some of the harder maps, potions of frost and lava will give cold and

      > fire +95 which should be enough.

      I've already written a patch to make protection spells overrule race

      vulnerabilities. (only the "protection from xxx"-spells, not holy word

      or blessings!)

      For example:

      o I play a troll with fire -30, then I cast "protection from

        fire" which has a bonus of fire +20 (level dependant). => My race vuln is

        reduced from -30 to -10 temporarily.

      o I play a troll with fire -30 and cast protection from fire, with

        fire +45. => My race vuln is reduced to 0, and I get an additional

        protection of +15 (the latter calculated with diminishing return).

      o I play northman with cold +30, or human for example.

        => Everything works like it used to be.

      I know, having protection spells overrule race vulns isn't very logical,

      but concerning gameplay and balance I think it really is the best we can do:

      Since those spells are only temporare, race vulns are still nasty.

      But they no longer hinder a character to develop properly and have fun.

      Besides, the protection spell gets increased bonus and duration at

      higher levels, a nice motivation to advance in wisdom. At some point,

      a player can reach the "break even" where his protection spell completely

      negates the race vuln...

      Considered that spellpath-attunements and WIS-stat also affects the bonus

      of protection spells, this could be a lot of fun.

      Anyways, Mark will surely not want me to check in that patch before V1.0.

      Hence, darth bob you can do what you want for now. But I guess the vulns

      will be turned up to the old values after 1.0, if my patch is accepted.

      Andreas V.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com