[CF-Devel] demonologic tower

Peter Mardahl peterm at tonks.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Apr 26 14:07:29 CDT 2001

      Notice that the balrog part of the demon tower is now broken for fighters.

So what?  It is the Tower of Demonology and Summoning.  What makes you
think that someone with no knowledge of magic or prayer
is entitled to easy success here?

      There is no serious item out, which grants enough res to fight the balrog

      hand to hand.

      Ill try it with a level 24 warrior (str 30, and much good items) AND

      venomteeth

      (i got in from snake pit first level). This grants poison res 80 but this is

      still

      not enough to kill the balrog.

Try it with a HIGHER level fighter.  Poison's effect is level dependent.
You can also try to obtain a better AC with the 'enchant armour' scrolls
so you're less likely to get hit in the first place.

      After he poisons me, my str drops to 23-25, leave me nearly dead. Because i

      get slowed

      too very much, i even can't cast / drink fast enough to help. Then blocked

      by fire elems,

      i die 4 times. There is no way to master this for a fighter with medium

      level.

I just can't get excited by the fact that a *medium* level fighter can't
get through this map.  Demonslayer is one of the top 3 weapons in the
mapset, possibly THE best weapon in the mapset.  Why should access to
it be easy enough for a *level 24* fighter???

I changed Demonology because I was told that Demonslayer is too powerful
to be given away so easily.  I required passage up all 4 towers to make
it harder.  I took away the titans because what do Titans have to do with
Demonology and Summoning?  However, a Balrog is perfect.  The bigger demons
weren't available when I first did the map but they are now.

      And thats NOT the way the game should go. I don't want first pump up my

      warrior in a semi priest/wizard

      to master this key quests.

How is it a "key" quest?  Because of the Demonslayer?  If the Demonslayer
is powerful enough to be "key" then it deserves strong guard.

      Notice, that even 90% or 95% res IS NOT ENOUGH. In a high speed fight

      against bigger monsters, you hit

      easily do 100 hits and more!! That means, you has a 1:1 chance to get

      poisoned and thats often the instand

      dead to the poor warrior.

If Poisoning is too powerful take it up with AV, who has meddled with it
recently.  The Balrog in Demonology stays.  It is needed.  It belongs.

      There are other parts which get boosted up with strong poison monsters.

      Mainly, this is to avoid thats pumped mages slay the monsters to easy, but

      you forget the warriors about this. They must have a way to solve this

      without

      magic.

Why?  There are zillions of maps with "no magic", and all you REALLY need
is to have more ac, more hp, higher level.  Why not a map where LOW/MID LEVEL
fighters have trouble?

PeterM