[CF-Devel] rewards for dropping body parts on altars

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Fri Apr 27 00:27:26 CDT 2001

"H. S. Teoh" wrote:

      On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 09:24:09PM +0200, Philipp Currlin wrote:

      > BehTong, Aprogas and I came up with an idea to give rewards for dropping

      > body parts of your gods enemies on the altar of your god.

      > This could be either random items or some experience. On the other hand

      > the player should expect serious anger for dropping a dead dwarf on the

      > altar of mostrai, for example.

      [snip]

 I think this has been discussed before.  The tricky part of this is balance.
Some races just generate a lot more parts than others.  for example, the demon
races generate a relatively low number of body parts.

      I was also thinking of punishments like chaining the offending player to a

      heavy boulder (ala nethack), or, say, lythander punishing a really serious

      offence by transforming the player into a troll, etc.. This would vary

      from deity to deity.

 Certainly divine intervention could be expanded to do more things.  Repeated
praying should be met with some scorn for example.

      Another thing I'd like to see is to make killing monsters sacred to your

      deity have adverse effects. This, of course, is probably somewhere farther

      in the future, since it would require a lot of maps to be fixed to

      accomodate this. But nevertheless, I always thought it was weird that i

      can beat up on angels freely and Valriel couldn't seem to care less,

      although I keep "feeling a bond" with angels.

 The biggest problem with this (or making them friendly) is that it basically
makes some maps useless (or even dangerous in a different regard).  I don't
really know if there are enough maps to basically say say 'you don't need to do
these'.  For example, followers of gnarg would have a much harder time if they
can't kill the goblin type races - most of the low level maps use them to a
great degree (and some of the random dungeons).

 While this realistically makes sense, there are certain playbalance issues with
this.

 Making the monsters friendly is also only marginally useful if your part of a
party - youu can't kill them but your friends can?  That would seem to be pretty
annoying to me.  Also, the friendliness as currently supported is very generic -
friendly basically means 'friendly to players', and 'not friendly to a specific
player'.  So that isn't a very good option right now.