[CF-Devel] Re: [CF-maps] (Beginner question) How to add new faces to crossfire.png? (fwd)

dnh dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Fri Apr 27 03:07:12 CDT 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:50:54 +0200

     dluhosj at centrum.cz

     dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au

Subject: Re: [CF-maps] (Beginner question) How to add new faces to
    crossfire.png?

      Please come onto #crossfire, this stream is getting way to long, and we

      aren't getting very far are we =).

Hello,

Sorry that I was not there but it's quite difficult for me to use IRC...
my connection is (quite heavily) paid, I mostly connect from work
and I still don't have enough credit in the company to chat in work time... :o)

      Are you sure you were su when you typed make install?

      i really need to walk through it with you I think, irc is the best choice now.

I agree... I'll try to visit #crossfire sometime, but I don't know when I manage...

However, I've found a temporary solution, although it very probably
is not how these things should be done.

I have found a script named make_xpm_image.pl in the /crossfire/lib/adm
directory. When invoked, it collects the .xpm images from the /crossfire/lib/arch
directory and mangles them up to a crossfire.xpm file. So I have modified it
to collect .png files instead, and it works.

However, I had to do some additional changes because the .xpm file produced
by the script is not compatible with the current crossfire server - maybe it is
a relict from some old version of crossfire, because it uses slightly different format
(uses ESRV_XPM keyword instead of IMAGE, does not put file lengths in the file).
It is a bit strange to me that the file is in the distribution - I think it simply can't

work without changes (and it seems it is never called from the Makefile).

Well... I know it sounds paranoid, but I've scanned the crossfire distribution
(crossfire-0.98.0 + crossfire-0.98.0.maps + crossfire-0.98.0.arch
and got to a conclusion that the collect_images.pl file, which is called when
'make collect' is invoked from the /crossfire/lib directory, simply is not there.
*shy smile* I would never dare to insinuate that there is a bug in the distribution
files, but... :o)

However, the truecolor PNGs seems to work quite well. I have not yet tried
the Gtk client (I have my own little client), but the crossedit copes with them nicely,
except for the semitransparent areas, as you mentioned, which get ignored
sometimes but it's nothing serious.

If you'd like to see the images, I'll send them when I have more of them
(for the time being I have managed to truecolor-ize only some ground icons
and lava, and now I'm trying to do the same with the sea).

Have a nice day and lotsa sunshine,

Jiri "BlueBear" Dluhos

Hrajte on-line hry na

     http://www.XChat.cz