[CF-Devel] poisoning & demonologic tower

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Fri Apr 27 22:07:55 CDT 2001

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      Yes I have "meddled" with poisoning a few months ago, and I seem to be

      known for my tendency of beefing things up... hehe :]

      ...but not in this case! I did the opposite. I introduced limits to

      stats loss during poison-effect.

      Anyways, poisoning on high-level monsters is indeed not harmless.

      But I can't say I'm unhappy about that fact, as long as it is used

      in maps wisely.

 I guess I could look at the code, but how does resistance to poison affect it?

 Does it just reduce the likelihood of being poisoned?  If so, thats not very
useful if your fighting a monster with poison attacks, because you'll get hit by
it so much, your going to fail one.    Reduced duration may fall into a similar
case.  Sure, duration being really short is useful if your just hit by a poison
cloud, but once again, if your fighting a monster, you'll probably get
re-poisoned before it wears off.

 I really don't know how poison works, but it could very well be a case where
getting 90% may not help out a lot in the above circumstance.

      I also agree to Mark, maybe a "potion of poison resistance" with

      poison +90 might be useful. I would not go byond 90% though.

      There's a lot of poison-res. on equipment as well. "Venomtooth",

      "mudman's ring" and "orcish helmet" to name a few...

      And don't forget about Gnarg!! He is a warrior god and

      gives poison resistance (holy possession -> +95%!).

 As said, protectiion potions for most attacktypes could be added
(confusion/slow/paralyze being another - maybe a potion of free action?)  what
about potion protection from drain, which is 100% protection, and reducing the
current items to 90%?  I think that would be 'more balancing' - right now,
everyone gets 100% immunity to drain fairly early, and never care about draining
monsters again - I would like to add that fear back in the gain.  At least with
90% resistance, you have enough time to say 'oh $@!$', run away, and drink your
potion before coming back.  The math on this gets tricky, as the grimreaper
tries to take 10% of your exp at that time, modified by your resistance. but if
you have 90% resistance, even if youu get hit all 10%, your not losing too
terribly much (although, the way the levels are, at higher levels this could be
more a pain)..