[CF-Devel] poisoning & demonologic tower

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Mon Apr 30 01:05:44 CDT 2001

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      Poison resistance affects both likelihood of getting sick and the poison

      damage. I think high level poison hurting that much has three reasons:

      First, most players don't wear any poison-resist usually.

 If you put on poison resist items after your infected, does it help at all, or
is it really needed when you are actually getting poisoned?

      There's plenty of ways where poisoning could be adjusted. But I find it

      quite difficult to see what mixture of duration, damage and contagiousness

      (relative to resistance) would be best.

      The current scheme doesn't seem extremely bad to me though.

 True - player can always cast cure poison also.  Perhaps its just that I find
the get the blue mushroom random quest very difficult because of the poisoning,
and not really because of the monsters themselves (except for the fact they do
poison).  Individually, none of those monsters would be tough - what becomes
tough is killing them and not getting to serioiusly poisoned.

      I definitly don't like the idea of draining resistance 90%. It's similar to

      the issue with acid corrosion. The main problem is that a player has no way

      to determine a monster's attacktypes. You would be surprised to know how

      many special monsters have draining attacks.

 Note that draining resistance actually reduces effect.  90% resistance means
you lose only 10% the amount of experience you would if you had no protection.

 This is a little different than acid, where either an item gets corroded or not
- there is no 'its slightly corroded' - either it has gotten an additional minus
or not.

 Just brainstorming here, but it seems to me that if draining is so nasty that
any experienced character wants drain resistance 100, then draining seems to be
a too powerful attacktype.  It also means that drain attacks on monsters pretty
much become meaningless (if all the characters its going to attack are immune to
drain, then that attacktype has no effect.  And this may be what leads to more
monsters having drain - developer/tester sees it as not  big deal because the
player will be immune).

 But I think some of this is also good map design - the tactict of putting a
drain monster/acid monster someplace where the character has no time to react
seems at least somewhat common.  This of course only works for the first time
the player visits that map - after that, he knows that the monster is there and
now prepares accordingly (or just avoids it).

      About resistance potions for paralyze, confusion and slow:

      The problem is that these resistance don't really work. Since these

      attacktypes

      inflict "effects" rather than damage, there's no true partial resistance.

      The effect can be ON and OFF, similar: A player can be immune or not,

      basically.

      That's the reason why 100% resist. on equipment exists for these

      attacktypes.

      And while these exist, potions don't make a lot of sense.

 Incorrect.  For the attacks above, duration is reduced accordingly.  if you
have 90% resistance, then you won't get stuck for very long.

 This is more useful for confusion/slow - for paralyze, even being paralyzed for
a very short time can be deadly.  But this goes with the above - if these
attacktypes are so bad that youo need to be immune, it seems to dimish the
usefulness of them (ie, any monster above level 20 might as well not have these
attacks, as the player won't be affect anyways, and it will just chew up the
monsters spell points).  I don't really like that idea a lot.