[CF-Devel] Resist godpower +30

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Mon Apr 30 19:42:59 CDT 2001

peterm wrote:

      I think you're being a bit alarmist here, AV.

I have spent huge effort at designing and balancing pupland
maps to meet both my own liking and that of the original
authors (and despite of what you might think: that of many players too).
I think I have a right to air my opinions on this issue.

(To make the connection to godpower: Several key-position monsters
in pupland use godpower attacks.)

      In fact, in general I think you've been swinging the pendulum too

      far in the "make the game hard" direction.  The goal of

      crossfire mapmaking isn't to inflict sudden death on players at

      every opportunity.  I agree a lot of your changes to maps are good,

      justifed and needed, but it's possible to go too far in the 'hard'

      direction.

      Not everyone who plays knows every trick/abuse like us experts.

Note that I never try to make the game harder from code side
(the overall "rules"). However, pupland mapset is hard, and that's how
it is designed to be.
There are players who've solved everything else, and end up
being very bored at level 110. Pupland is for those guys.
There is nothing forcing people to play pupland, there's plenty
of warnings, and the maps are hard - but not unfair!

What really would make me sad is if pupland gets totally
easy for experts, just because some newbie has problems at level 10.
Is this justified?
Can't there be one single attacktype without protections?
Or do I have to use "internal" attacktype in future?

      [...] The basic problem is that in order for crossfire to be fun,

      characters have to MOVE quickly and responsively. [...]

There are indeed players at level 110, or not?
There are players who end up bored because they got everything
they could. Maps should always be fair and not frustrating.
But *not* all maps should be easy IMHO.

      I agree godpower resistance is special and should be used sparingly,

      which is what we've done very effectively for weaponmagic, for years.

      One item, which used to get protection (50%, old system), but which now

      gets 30.

We need a limit. I can already see players sleepwalk through the game
with weaponmagic +90 and godpower +95...
The limit for weaponmagic should be at around 50% (Where it already is
due to caryllium apron and barbal mal warhammer). Limit for godpower
should stay zero.

Andreas V.