[CF-Devel] Resist godpower +30

Peter Mardahl peterm at tonks.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Apr 30 20:50:12 CDT 2001

      peterm wrote:

      > I think you're being a bit alarmist here, AV.

      I have spent huge effort at designing and balancing pupland

      maps to meet both my own liking and that of the original

      authors (and despite of what you might think: that of many players too).

      I think I have a right to air my opinions on this issue.

It's good that you've overhauled pupland and fixed up the problems
in it, but I think it's unfortunate that you've made monsters depend on
godpower in order to make them hard.

godpower belongs to gods and it makes sense to me to have
relics of benevolent gods defend you from hostile godpower.

Godpower attack belongs on afflictions from gods: disease,
effects from gods:  holy word, cause wounds, divine shock,
and possibly god avatars (but I would prefer not in this case),
not on monsters for the sole purpose of making them hard.

I suggest that if you want to make monsters hard you use
combinations of other attacktypes, so that a person will
need lots of high resistances to defend vs. them:  not practically
possible.  Alternately, use weaponmagic, and remove
"prot weaponmagic" from the carrillium apron and from that
hammer someone just told me about.

Having a holy relic protect you from hostile godpower makes
a lot more sense than prot. weaponmagic, the special attacktype.

I can write a shellscript/short program to change the maps
where you've used 'godpower' as attacktypes for non-holy/unholy monsters.

In any case, I don't see "prot 51" god power as being a big threat.
For that Prot 51 of godpower, the player has to give up TWO ring
slots.  Other artifacts grant far more protection per slot than 30.
Same thing with weaponmagic.  Other artifacts give far more protection
per weapon slot (for that hammer) and per armour slot (for that apron)
than 30, also.  I think the real problem is that you put all your
eggs into one attacktype basket.

I realize this is more work than simply not allowing any defense
vs. godpower at all, but I think it makes more sense to resist power
from hostile gods than to resist weaponmagic, the special attacktype,
and that granting weaponmagic to certain monsters makes much more
sense than granting them Godpower attacks.

PeterM

      (To make the connection to godpower: Several key-position monsters

      in pupland use godpower attacks.)

      > In fact, in general I think you've been swinging the pendulum too

      > far in the "make the game hard" direction.  The goal of

      > crossfire mapmaking isn't to inflict sudden death on players at

      > every opportunity.  I agree a lot of your changes to maps are good,

      > justifed and needed, but it's possible to go too far in the 'hard'

      > direction.

      > Not everyone who plays knows every trick/abuse like us experts.

      Note that I never try to make the game harder from code side

      (the overall "rules"). However, pupland mapset is hard, and that's how

      it is designed to be.

      There are players who've solved everything else, and end up

      being very bored at level 110. Pupland is for those guys.

      There is nothing forcing people to play pupland, there's plenty

      of warnings, and the maps are hard - but not unfair!

      What really would make me sad is if pupland gets totally

      easy for experts, just because some newbie has problems at level 10.

      Is this justified?

      Can't there be one single attacktype without protections?

      Or do I have to use "internal" attacktype in future?

      > [...] The basic problem is that in order for crossfire to be fun,

      > characters have to MOVE quickly and responsively. [...]

      There are indeed players at level 110, or not?

      There are players who end up bored because they got everything

      they could. Maps should always be fair and not frustrating.

      But *not* all maps should be easy IMHO.

      > I agree godpower resistance is special and should be used sparingly,

      > which is what we've done very effectively for weaponmagic, for years.

      > One item, which used to get protection (50%, old system), but which now

      > gets 30.

      We need a limit. I can already see players sleepwalk through the game

      with weaponmagic +90 and godpower +95...

      The limit for weaponmagic should be at around 50% (Where it already is

      due to caryllium apron and barbal mal warhammer). Limit for godpower

      should stay zero.

      Andreas V.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com