[CF List] hiscores

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sun Apr 15 15:40:51 CDT 2001

Isak Styf wrote:

      > Hi,

      > I don't like the way crossfire handles hiscores. Every time you start a

      > game with the same player's name old score is reblaced, by the new one.

      > It doesn't matter, that you were "Player the elf" before, and you ar

      > "Player the human now".

      > IMHO scores of players who quit should stay even if new player with the

      > same name joins.

      And how are you going to tell them apart?

      In my opinion (i havent discovered this before) it should be handled the

      mud way, where you cant have two characters with the same name until

      the first one is purged manually by a "wizard" (that would be the server

      admin in this case) or automatically by some function that (optionally)

      nukes characters that havent been playing for the last x months.

 A lot of crossfire is keyed in on player names.  For example, player improved
weapons are keyed in on name.  So in theory, a player of the same name could
leave one for the next player (there are still level checks in place).
Likewise, the save files are done by name.  I can't see any change in the near
future that will allow players of the same name

 It might be possible to better check the name/race/class for uniqueness.

 But preserving all the high scores would probably result in a very large high
score file.