[CF-Devel] Fog of war code checked in

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Wed Aug 1 01:04:07 CDT 2001

      That would be neat but using the existing lighting code would end up

      doing the wrong thing on the client side, if the interpolated stuff

      is used anyway. If you are thinking that the end effect would be to

      darken tiles that are blocked by LOS, you don't want full bright tiles

      adjancent to these 'blocked' tiles leaking light in since it isn't

      a lighting issue, it is a blocked view issue.

 Your probably right - it would work right without interpolated code for
darkness.  I'd actually have to think about this further - since the blocking in
this case would move this blocking/darkening to squares it blocks, the results
may be OK.  For example, if you have the case:

..XXX
P1XXX
..XXX

 the 1 would be darkness for those spaces.  No matter what, all the X's would be
at least darkness one, since the blocking that the 1 provides would spill over
to those other ones.

 There may be cases with strange situations where it doesn't look right (lone
spot that has some blocking).

      Oh yeah, guess I could have worded that better. I was hoping you could

      do it cause I don't have time to do anymore crossfire features until

      I get back from my sabbatical in November. I still have some bugs to

      fix in the gtkSDL client that dnh reported to me and fix up the other

      transport mechanisms to get fog working properly in all cases before

      I go.

 Ok.  I'll look at this - I would guess it shouldn't be too hard.

      Do you have any sort of release schedule in mind? Are we just gonna add

      lots of features to crossfire and do a 2.0 release in like a year or two

      or do you plan on a 1.1 release?

 I have no schedule in mind.  The problem with trying to make a release is that
it requires forking trees and makes for a bit more work (presumably we want to
try and make a stable release).  OTOH, most of the servers are still keeping
pretty up to date, which helps verify stability.