[CF List] more general comments

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Wed Aug 1 00:09:58 CDT 2001

Nils Lohner wrote:

      - when I apply to bed of reality, and then select quit I get:

        Got error on read (error 0)

        gtk_main exited, returning from event_loop

 That is normal.  We really need to add a 'goodbye' protocol command so the
client knows that the connection should be closed.

      - the game is too slow for me to play well on an ultra 5.  This means

        that I have typeahead, and I don't always know when which keystrokes

        will be used.  It should at least be an option to empty the keyboard

        buffer every move, so that only the current keystroke is used.  This

        is a great help when trying to escape in battle

 the cwindow command (command window) controls this - it basically determines
how many unacknowledged commands it will send to the server (in a sense, the
typeahead).  Default is 10.  Right value depends on the latency between you and
the server.  If you playing on a local lan or the same machine, setting this to
2 would probably be fine.

      - along the same lines, have a blood spot or something when someone

        dies.  Its tough to read the 'grazed' etc. message to realize that

        something has or hasn't died.  Something quick and visual would be a

        great help. That way you know who you've killed and who to attack next

        (i.e. not the monster that juat took the place of what you killed but

        something else already weakened for example).

 I really want to redo the message handling, so that the client could filter
these out and display them more intelligently.

      - in the quiver, how do you select which arrows you're using???

      You can't really. The general logic is that it will use arrows in your
inventory first, then go to the containers.  There is no way to order the arrows
in your container.  What many people will do is have multiple quivers - one for
the general purpose stuff (+1, etc), and another for the special
(slaying/assasinating of some creature).  When they meet the appropriate
creature, they pull the arrows out of that other container, otherwise they keep
it closed so items won't get used from it.

      - sometimes I can't fire my bow even when its readied.  Why not?  It

        would make sense that 'fire' automatically readies the skill etc. for

        the range weapon selected.

  Fire is a general purpose command.  I'm not positive what you are saying - are
you saying that you range says bow, yet you still can't fire?  That should
automatically happen.  However, if your range is set to something else, even if
you have a bow readied, it will fire whatever your range is set to.

      - when picking up items that can get added to something outside of the

        sack (or quiver) add them outside.  THis avoids 10 arrows in the

        quiver and 20 outside for example.

 I'm sure some people will disagree with this.  not positive,

      - is ther a way to disable the sack?  Once active, I can't disactivate

        it, and it's annoying to have keys drop into it by default.

 Open the sack, then click the close button above the inventory that appears.
Not positive why, but the gtk client used a different behavior in that the
container will not fully close just be clicking on the item in your inventory
(the old x11 client would cycle between open, active, and closed)

      - what's the 'Count' for in the inventory window???

 If you want to drop/pick up some amount other than the total.  Ie, you have
5000 gp, but want to drop 500, you type 500 and then right click.  the 500 will
show up in the count window.

      - wishlist: draw all explored areas in the window, and just grey out the

      ones you can't see at the moment.  This would help you see where you

      are.  You could even leave the artifacts, and just update them the next

      time you 'see' them.  Anything alive should not be displayed if you

      can't see it of course.

 Scotts fog of war code does this I think.

      - wishlist: allow for a bigger viewing area.  You can really play this

        cgame in several ways: nethack (strategic goal based) or gauntlet

        (hack-em-up) and for both a bigger display would be nice.

 Have you tried the different -mapsize options?  Max size right now is 25x25,
which amounts to an 800x800 viewable area.