[CF-Devel] current bugs

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sun Aug 5 02:48:38 CDT 2001

Mark W. wrote:

      > It looks like there's a number of serious bugs that sneaked

      > into crossfire recently:

      > 1) Most invisible items are visible to the players (inv. exits,

     directors

      >    and stuff). You can see this wherever there are "invisible" exits.

      Error in coding of the update_position.  I believe I have a fix for

      this - is there a specific map example you can give me so that I can

      verify this?

Yes, the portgate and citygate maps in scorn are supposed to have
invisible exits. Currently those are visible. The strange part is that
they're not only supposed to be invisible, but also hidden below
the floor. Both of which seems to fail...

      > 2) Directors and Movers don't work anymore. Players don't get

      >    moved, bullets/missiles don't get affected by directors.

      Fixed this (will check into CVS shortly).  The check for spell like

      objects (which  once we find one, we stop the walk on checks) was

      checking the wrong value and checking too early.)

Thanks a lot Mark. That was the real ugly one.
(Had broken many maps).

      > 3) Sometimes it happens that walls get teleported by teleporters.

      >    (Walls are of course supposed to be unaffected by teleporters).

      >    This can be seen in the map /peterm/Demonology/EarthStudy for

      >    example. When you speak the twisted name of the earth elemental,

      >    sometimes it happens that peaces of the walls get teleported

      >    together with the monster.

      This is not really a new bug in terms of teleporters.

      What used to be the case is that multipart objects were also saved/loaded

      last, so they would always be on top of any walls (in terms of

     pentagrams).

      With the new map code, this is no longer the case - a wall may in fact be

      in top of a section of the pentagram (as demonstrated in the map above).

      Currently, the teleport code does no checking to see the nature of the

      object it is moving. It will be easy to put in a check so things like

      walls and other objects that should be stationary don't get moved. I'll

      do that and put that in with the other checkins.

As far as I've seen, the problem appeared only with the multipart
teleporters (the pentagrams in Demontower and Chaoslair). Those seemed
not to work correctly before and thus nobody noticed there are some
walls on them which are not meant to be teleported.

Maybe it is an easier and better way to correct those maps instead
of not allowing walls (and other stuff) to be teleported. I could think
of many cases where teleporting "special" objects like magic_ears/walls/
exits etc might be quite useful.

Only things that should not be allowed to get teleported IMO are
teleporters themselves and floors ("is_floor 1").
Actually it would be great if floors were completely ignored by
teleporters to allow the latter being put below floors and still
working properly. But there might be more important stuff to do.

Andreas V.