[CF-Devel] Various proposed changes

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sun Aug 5 16:34:50 CDT 2001

 All of these are very easy to do, but may have consequences that I don't fully
see.

Eating flesh when starving:  Currently, when food gets to zero, your character
blindly grabs for a bite to eat.  This only looks for food/drink/poison items.
It does not look for flesh items.  If you have a big pile of wyvern stakes or
other body parts and no other food, you will die of starvation.  I suggest that
this grabbing for a bite to eat also work on flesh items.  It could very easily
be coded that eating a flesh item happens after we don't find any better
suitable items.

detect magic/detect curse detecting non equipment items:  If you case either of
these spells, things like gates, buttons, and various other non pickable objects
will flash magical - often times something buried beneath a floor may flash (or
maybe its the floor).  IMO, this is just a little odd - things like the gates
aren't really magical, they are just keyed such to denote that magic can not
pass if I recall.  My suggestion is that we only flash the magical effect (and
so mark the objects) that can actually get picked up.  My only thought on this
is that monsters won't get flashed (don't know if they do right now, but
shouldn't detect monster get used for that anyways?  But my thought is that some
maps in pupland (or elsewhere) may require players being able to see the no
magic areas to successfully do the map?

detect monster improvement (just thought of this one): I've never found much use
for this spell, but have an idea that may make it more useful, especially
combined with fog of war code - instead of just doing the little magical flash
showing where monsters are, show the actual face of the monster?  I think this
can be done pretty easily just by copying the monster face over to the magical
effect.

 This can be done for other spells also - think of things like 'detect walls'
that let you know the layout of the walls in the area?  detect treasure, etc.