[CF-Devel] Technical Object Questions

Sebastien Bracquemont dweeves at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 3 12:38:20 CDT 2001

     From: Chachkoff Yann <

      yann.chachkoff at mailandnews.com

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

     Subject: Re: [CF-Devel] Technical Object Questions

     Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 09:53:21 -0400

     About the object classes/subclasses...

     What do you think of a simple "Object tree" ? I was thinking of a hierarchy

     of objects like this one (it is only an incomplete example !):

     Object

       - Non-living

       -- Weapon

       --- Swords

       --- Knives

       --- Poles

       -- Armour

       --- Body armour

       --- Helmet

       --- Gloves

       --- Boots

       -- Jewels

       --- Rings

       --- Talismans

       -- Organic

       --- Food

       --- Body parts

       -- Misc.

       --- Furniture

       --- Walls

       - Living

       -- Player

       -- Monster

       ---NPC

I think the idea is good but it relies typical object oriented programming
concepts (inheritance, polymorphism).The implementation will be complex and
tricky in pure C.(reinventing the wheel... to only get a wooden one !)

I always had the thought that a language that supports OO concept (C++ for
example)is much better suited for CF and the implementation of the server
can be much more simple,maintanable,and evolutive by this way.

Another thing is that what is exposed here is a clear "reconception" of the
object system that is the heart of CF (in the limit of my knowledge). Not a
bad thing IMO but had to be really discussed with the principal developers.

I was supposed to do some work on the Java Editor but i had a really hard
work for the last months.

MichToen did a fantastic work on the Editor. Still getting better each day.

If there is a move to OO , i'll be happy to help you for the (re)design.

dweeves