[CF-Devel] Objects and the player

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Dec 10 22:01:34 CST 2001

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      On 10-Dec-01 Mark Wedel wrote:

      >  Server would then know based on torso type physical characterstics (number

      > of

      > fingers, heads, arms, wrists, etc).

      If we do this, it should be recordable.. So if we ever did something like a

      critical hit that beheaded something, and it was a hydra, there wasn't the

      possibility of dropping too many heads.  Or cutting off 15 fingers, etc.

 This would require recording such information in the object, which is extra
space, but could be done.

 The problem is that in the case of fingers, it doesn't work very well.  The
player is only allowed to wear two rings, even though humans (and presumably all
the humanoids) have 10 figures.  Realistically, the things would really be
number of items of that type that can be worn.  A fireborn has no fingers for
example.  And you could make strange allowances for other creatures (eg, maybe
you let that quetzalcoatl wear a third ring on its tail, which isn't really a
finger).

 OTOH, this starts to get tricky in terms of the client trying to display
things, but maybe the client could just know that at Q's third ringfinger is in
fact its tail.  I would prefer not to try and track body parts to what can be
worn on them, as with the number of different body parts, this gets very
complicated.  Rather, I would like to have the information like 'a Q can wear 3
rings, shield, weapon, helmet, belt, bracers' and 'a human can wear 2 rings,
shield, weapon, armor, helmet, belt, bracers, boots', etc.