[CF-Devel] Problems installing server

kevin at ank.com kevin at ank.com
Tue Dec 11 01:35:06 CST 2001

Hi all,

I just checked out crossfire from CVS half a week ago and have been
trying to get it up and running.  I'd rather use the top of the CVS
trunk instead of 1.0 since I'd like to make some customizations, and
I'd like to be near the top of the tree for that.

Unfortunately I've been having some trouble with the server.  After
a configure/make/make install/ cycle I tried running the server and
it complained about a missing 'faces' file.  I copied that from the
CVS lib directory to the location where it was looking for faces,
and the server started up, but shouldn't make install copy this file
automatically?

Then I've also had trouble connecting with an off the shelf client.
Since I'm not interested in playing with the client code, I just
grabbed the prebuilt gcfclient for Redhat version 1.0.0.  Gcfclient
has terrible trouble with my server however complaining strongly
about the xpm images, or more often just segfaulting:

[118] R(139)

     kevin at wraith

     :~> gcfclient -server avalon.ank.com
Unknown display specication in /home/kevin/.crossfire/gdefaults, xpmWarning: could not convert keysym F28 into keycode, ignoring
Warning: could not convert keysym F34 into keycode, ignoring
Warning: could not convert keysym F30 into keycode, ignoring
Warning: could not convert keysym F32 into keycode, ignoring
Warning: could not convert keysym F27 into keycode, ignoring
Warning: could not convert keysym F29 into keycode, ignoring
Warning: could not convert keysym F31 into keycode, ignoring
Warning: could not convert keysym F33 into keycode, ignoring
Warning: could not convert keysym F35 into keycode, ignoring
sh: /usr/X11R6/bin/cfsndserv: No such file or directory
Playing on server type  Crossfire Server

Segmentation fault
[118] R(139)

     kevin at wraith

     :~>

Is the current server not backward compatible with the 1.0
client?  Should I build the client from scratch too?

Thanks,
-kls