[8] [CF-Devel] Map naming scheme

kevin at ank.com kevin at ank.com
Sun Dec 16 00:52:24 CST 2001

      kevin at ank.com

       wrote:

      > The advantage as I see it is that the cities remain seperable from the map

      > they are on.  They could be placed on any world map, in almost any location

      > and still make sense.

       I suggest you read over some of the mail archives on crossfire.real-time.com.

      While the initial thought of you could place the cities anyplace correct, having

      them make sense is more difficult - there are lots of pieces of information

      within the city that have location information (eg, the tower is to the south of

      here, etc).  To fix all those up gets more complicated.  There were various

      ideas posed on how to do it - it basically requires re-writing all the npcs that

      have such messages to use scripts, and to also have a global index of the maps

      so that the npc logic can really see where these are.  In a short answer, this

      is a lot more work - especially if the cities don't move around a lot.

I'll reserve judgement until I have a chance to review the mailing list
discussions.  My main concern is in the ability to create custom worlds
while still using some of the existing cities.  This approach has been
of historical importance with many muds as the default cities provide a
way of bootstrapping the new world before people have had a chance to
customize it.