[8] [CF-Devel] Map naming scheme

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Dec 16 02:43:38 CST 2001

     kevin at ank.com

      wrote:

      I'll reserve judgement until I have a chance to review the mailing list

      discussions.  My main concern is in the ability to create custom worlds

      while still using some of the existing cities.  This approach has been

      of historical importance with many muds as the default cities provide a

      way of bootstrapping the new world before people have had a chance to

      customize it

 I understand that.  I guess a lot depends on the end desire and how correct the
bootstrap city should be. Certainly, if crossfire grows in popularity, people
designing their own maps is desirable.

 OTOH, I do plan to make some scripts to make mass relocations of exits much
easier (eg, you tell the script the source map, and tell it the new destination
maps with offsets, and it goes through and fixes the things up).  This will
generally make it fairly easy for maps to get relocated.

      >  But I am thinking of changing the way to do cities - I'm now leaning to giving

      > the city its own 50x50 tile, and updating the links in the adjoining world maps

      > to use this tile, and putting a note in the 'missing' tile that in fact this

      > tile is /scorn/city or the like.  This at least makes it a little easier to move

      > things around, and I think will also make it a bit easier to know how maps are

      > related to each other (eg, everything in /scorn would go back to /scorn/city,

      > and not /world/world_110_124 for example).

      This approach shares much of the value of what I was trying to suggest,

      so I won't try to argue you out of it, but I do think you should consider

      whether it is feasible to put every city on a mod 50 boundary.

 thats obviously a potential problem - especially if at some point a city grows
beyond 50 spaces.

 Somethign that may work would be to leave a copy of the whole city (eg,
/city/city), but for the actual map, copy the bits over to be on the world map
tiles, and then run my proposed update script above to get the exits in the
right plac

 As I think about that idea, one thing that would make updating exits A LOT
easier would be for all the exit information to be on the same line, eg, instead
of something like

arch house
x 5
y 10
slaying /path/to/house
sp 8
hp 15
end

 Instead be

arch house
x 5
y 10
slaying /path/to/

     house at 8

     ,15
end

 Makes it trivial easy to update exits in that case, as well as find exits to
update.  It also removes the overloading of the sp and hp values - it does mean
that the exit code has to parse the slaying line to get the destination
coordinates, but for how often exits are actually used, that isn't a very big
deal.