[3] Re: [CF-Devel] Light and Darkness

kevin at ank.com kevin at ank.com
Sat Dec 29 19:04:59 CST 2001

      > I've been testing the darkness code on some of the sample maps and

      > find that it doesn't work nearly as well as I would have hoped.

      > When casting light from a light source, the light should stop at

      > any walls I think.  As it is, the code makes it very difficult to

      > throw shadows across the floor of the dungeon, and light on a wall

      > lights up that wall even if you are on the opposite side from the

      > light source.

       This is largely because the way the game is designed - everything is based on

      square spaces.  For example, for line of sight, we can know if you can see that

      square, and not that you see half a square or whatever.  In the case of walls,

      this often means you see the small strip of floor/ground on the far side of the

      wall.

       Similarly, for light, we know the light level for the entire space.  Trying to

      know that the right half the square and not the left is illuminated (Because of

      a wall) is not done, and in any case, that information would then have to get

      communicated to the client.

       If the problem is that you see an illuminated wall because the next room over

      is illuminating it, the simple solution is to just make the walls double thick.

      Then, if the next room is full bright but the room you are in is dark, the walls

      will still be dark.

Take a look at my server on avalon.ank.com then go to the towers/tower map
and take a walk around to the north-east corner.  As you get close to the
corner inside the tower, you'll notice that it suddenly gets bright.  This
is from a light that is actually on the other side of the wall.

Perhaps it is an error in the way I have the light source configured -- I'll
take a look and see if settings are out of range.  At the time I was trying
to get the outside of the building to be bright as day, so I think I upped
the light level to a hundred or so.

Cheers,
-kls