[CF-Devel] Light and Darkness

kevin at ank.com kevin at ank.com
Sun Dec 30 20:45:21 CST 2001

For what it is worth, I rechecked my light testing map.  Walls don't
affect the light one way of the other.  If light propagates 4 squares
from a source then it does so regardless of any intervening walls,
including double walls.

Cheers,
-kls

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 05:04:59PM -0800,

     kevin at ank.com

      wrote:

      > > I've been testing the darkness code on some of the sample maps and

      > > find that it doesn't work nearly as well as I would have hoped.

      > > When casting light from a light source, the light should stop at

      > > any walls I think.  As it is, the code makes it very difficult to

      > > throw shadows across the floor of the dungeon, and light on a wall

      > > lights up that wall even if you are on the opposite side from the

      > > light source.

      >  This is largely because the way the game is designed - everything is based on

      > square spaces.  For example, for line of sight, we can know if you can see that

      > square, and not that you see half a square or whatever.  In the case of walls,

      > this often means you see the small strip of floor/ground on the far side of the

      > wall.

      >  Similarly, for light, we know the light level for the entire space.  Trying to

      > know that the right half the square and not the left is illuminated (Because of

      > a wall) is not done, and in any case, that information would then have to get

      > communicated to the client.

      >  If the problem is that you see an illuminated wall because the next room over

      > is illuminating it, the simple solution is to just make the walls double thick.

      > Then, if the next room is full bright but the room you are in is dark, the walls

      > will still be dark.

      Take a look at my server on avalon.ank.com then go to the towers/tower map

      and take a walk around to the north-east corner.  As you get close to the

      corner inside the tower, you'll notice that it suddenly gets bright.  This

      is from a light that is actually on the other side of the wall.

      Perhaps it is an error in the way I have the light source configured -- I'll

      take a look and see if settings are out of range.  At the time I was trying

      to get the outside of the building to be bright as day, so I think I upped

      the light level to a hundred or so.

      Cheers,

      -kls

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com