[CF List] Need installation help (please?)

Lyle Bergman lbergman at mninter.net
Sat Dec 1 19:46:09 CST 2001

Hi all!
    Crossfire looks like an excellent game, but I'm running into nothing but roadblocks trying to get it installed. I'm a bit of a linux newbe; please bear with me.

    I'm running Red Hat linux 7.1 and want to play crossfire without connecting to any external server. (So I have to run the server locally, I believe?) I downloaded the three main tar files (crossfire-1.0.0.tar.gz, crossfire-client-1.0.0.tar.gz, and crossfire-maps-1.0.0.tar.gz) and extracted all the files. For the server, when I try ./configure, I get a message basically saying it can't find the file. The same happens when I try the client.

    I checked and I have all the GTK libraries installed, however xpm is nowhere to be found, not even on the installation disks. I downloaded and attempted to install the xpm library version that was in the old RH 6.1 version, but got a message saying it conflicted with some other installed packages (something like XFree86, if memory serves) and refused to install. Unless xpm was incorprated into another package, it seems XPM just isn't possible for Red Hat 7.1. I don't know if that's the source of the problem or not.

In any case, I'd be thankful for any help! Thanks!