[CF List] "Couldn't create lockfile" in FreeBSD

David LeCount snailboy1 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 17:29:45 CST 2001

Hello. I stumbled upon this Crossfire game and it
looks fun, but unfortunately I haven't been able to
play it yet. I'm using FreeBSD and installed the game
through the ports system. Now I have two problems
though.

First of all, I run "crossfire -xpm" at the command
line and it starts up and asks for my name, but when I
put it in, it says it's already taken. I can type in
anything and it says that. On the terminal, it lists a
few error messages from stderr.

error on setsockopt REUSEADDR: Invalid argument
error on setsockopt REUSEADDR
Couldn't create lockfile(dir): Permission denied
save failed - trying manual removal of objects

Can anyone make anything out of that? I sure can't.

The second problem is that I have no crossclient
command. Was this omitted from some versions or is my
install just screwed up? I really wanted to play this
over the internet with other folks and using
crossclient is the only way I've read to do it. Does
anyone have FreeBSD to compare? Thanks for your assistance.