[CF List] "Couldn't create lockfile" in FreeBSD

David LeCount snailboy1 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 00:29:56 CST 2001

The files png.h and pngconf.h are in
/usr/local/include. There weren't any other files on
my hard drive matching png* that seemed relevant. (If
the file isn't one of these, let me know what it is.)
So I ran

./configure --with-includes="-I/usr/local/include"

but still the same story when I get to make. I've
tried reinstalling png too but no difference.

I'm not sure what you mean by the packaging so I'll
explain how the ports work. It's similar to Debian's
apt-get except instead of downloading binaries from a
central server, it downloads the ports tree from a
central server. Then whenever you install something,
it downloads the source from somewhere (usually
several servers are attempted, starting with the
official one), the files are patches, and then FreeBSD
compiles it for you. So either the png source came
from the official server or a mirror of it. Does that
help? Again, thanks.

--- Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

     > wrote:

       png 1.2.0 should be fine.  If it is installed in a

      non standard location (eg,

      not /usr/lib), you need to provide some options to

      configure so that it finds

      it.  I don't remember the exact option, but

      configure --help should show you all

      the options, and the one you need should be pretty

      obvious.

       Also, I'm not sure how freebsd does its packages,

      but I know that for linux, in

      many cases the developer version of a library is an

      additional piece you need to

      get and install.  crossfire and the client need the

      developer pieces of png and

      gtk to compile and work.