[CF-Devel] [crossfire-cvs-admin@lists.sourceforge.net: [Crossfire-cvs] CVS update: client]

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Thu Feb 1 01:23:33 CST 2001

Bob Tanner wrote:

      > Date: Wednesday January 31, 2001 @ 22:31

      > Author:       cvs

      > Update of /home/cvs/CVS/client

      > In directory boltzmann.eecs.berkeley.edu:/tmp/cvs-serv24312

      Last set of commits on the client?

 For tonight.  But I'm working on some new changes so that the client & server
checksums the image data when the client caches them, and if the clients
checksum differs from the server, it also requests a new image.  That will be
done sometime soon.

 But as I think about this, this creates an interesting scenario.  Suppose two
servers - one up to date, the other a bit behind with some older images.

 You connect to the up to date server, and the client updates the relevant
images.  You then connect to the old server, the checksums differ, so it once
again grabs the images. You now go to the new server again, and once again it
grabs the new images.

 I don't have an elegant solution to that problem.  But presuming most of the
servers you play on are up to date, this should still be better than right now
where you can have really old images sitting around.

 I'll probably also add some option like so that it doesn't download the new
images even if the checksums differ.