[CF-Devel] new stat generation system.

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Fri Feb 2 13:33:28 CST 2001

Iam in all ways a friend of points to destribute.
I all other cases, i simply try as long as i got good
points, because it makes a big difference when you
start with wisdom 10 or str 20.

So, giving the player points, and lets add him to stats is
a good way. Also, you can play more easily your favorite
chars.

       On irc discussion last night, there was some discussion about

      redoing the stat

      generation method.

       This mostly came about because peter was hacking the client so

      that it would

      automatically re-roll stats until some desired value is reached.

       Currently, the server enforces a total stats between 82 and 116.  It was

      suggested that instead of rolling stats at all, just give the

      player the 116

      total to distribute between the stats as desired (just as a note,

      if we do go

      this way, I would probably make that stat total easily setable,

      so someone who

      wants to make an easy server could make the total lower, while a

      hard server

      could have a lower total).  The total probably needs to be lower

      in any case, as

      if you can just set the values, it will be easier to min/max the

      stats - right

      now, for example, it is difficult for a rolled stats to be much

      lower than 8.

      It appears the rolling method is 4d6, keep the best 3.

       As thinking about this, the easy way would be for the server to

      tell the player

      what the stat total is, enter amount for str, you have x points

      left, enter

      total for int, etc.

       But then I realized a better way would be for the client to

      handle all of this

      - basically, the server would tell the client to choose stats,

      total is 130.

      Client presents whatever way it wants for the player to set those to the

      different attributes, and when the player is done, the client

      sends back to

      server the values for str, dex, con, etc.  Server verifies the

      values to make

      sure they are proper, and then moves along to race selection.

       Thoughts?  Its some amount of work, but overall, the amount of

      code may be

      reduced in the server and client (code to roll the stats, swap,

      them, etc, is

      handled on the server, but the client has to deal with the actual

      interaction

      with the player.)

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com