[CF-Devel] new stat generation system.

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Fri Feb 2 22:39:03 CST 2001

 Just as a note - I don't consider the client rolling stats until some player
determined value is reached cheating.  Its just a convenience to the player.
The design behind the client/server protocl was not to trust the client with
anything.  So any other 'cheats' the client has are probably also really just
conveniences (for example, caching the magic map could be done equally easily if
a player did a window/screen area capture).  I don't really consider any of that
a cheat or problem.  However, you (Peter) neglected to note the other client
side abuses that are currently open.

 IF we do decide to let the player choose stats, the total probably will need to
be lowered - but as said, I would make that easily tunable in the settings file
for example.  I would also say that even with player selection, a minimum
selected stat of around 5 should perhaps be enforced.

 Its interesting to note that with a total of 116, that can amount to an average
of slightly of 16 for the 7 stats.  That seems really high if you think about it
- the max starting rolled stat is 18.  It basically means that if you could
arrange it, you get 6 of your stats at 18, and the last at 8!

 One reason to enforce a mininum is for races selection - I otherwise see
problems with players putting very low values in some stats and then
asking/wondering why certain races are not availabel.  The real answer is that a
race is not available if the stat penatly for that race would reduce it below
1.  For most all races, this is a non issue, as the penalties are pretty low
(less than 5), and with the current method, it is hard to roll a stat less than
that.

 Part of the server making sure the stat total was within range was also making
sure the individual stats are within whatever the desired range.

 I more reasonable total if we let the player set stats might be around 84 -
this presumes an average of 12, and also works out that you can max 3 of your
abilities at 18, with the other 4 averaging 7.5 (which will give a minor penalty
before race/class adjustments).

 OTOH, perhaps the high overall stats the current method give work out somewhat
good because you get high stats in most things, and those other stats are needed
- ie, most characters will eventually need to be able to read and perhaps cast
spells and so on - if the stats are lower, this makes it harder later in the
game (more stat potions to find).

 Perhaps the other problem is that the current roll stats gives a very wide
range - 82->116. 44 point difference, or an average of about 6.5 points per
stat.  There is obviously a lot of incentive to re-roll those low ones.