[CF-Devel] Server pings

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Sat Feb 3 09:40:06 CST 2001

Hm,
since the first problems with server speed comes up here last week,
i notice a bad increase in server pings.

As i started the dx client, i have to mids or voldsboks server
most times a ping of 100-180. Sometimes to mids a ping of <100 ms.

Well, last times if start the client i have most times a ping of 350-450
to most server... thats normally the ping i have to tavern server.

Now, as i started the client at 16.30 here in germany, i had a ping of

     1500ms to mids, 900-1200ms to voldsboks.... other are nearly same high.

The funny thing is, thats the server with not so many people online normally
now have a better ping.

I test then my ping to another online game, subspace. THe Server is in
Finland
and the ping there is all times same to CF servers in norway or finland and
to mids.

To the subspace servers at same time as i got the awful CF server pings i
had
a ping of 150ms - normal as in the last 3 month.

There is no other conclusion: THE SERVER CODE IS BROKEN!

You can test this with the dx client. Just start a server and monitor the
ping with
the client. The let others login and play. You should notice that the ping
gets up
and stands up also when people leave.

Before last patches, we are with 12 people on mids, and the ping was under
200ms for me.

Michael