[CF-Devel] gcfclient without dmalloc segfaults

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Mon Feb 5 01:06:11 CST 2001

"Pertti Karppinen (OH6KTR)" wrote:

      On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 03:16:14PM -0800, Mark Wedel wrote:

      >  I've noticed this problem with running with purify at times.  The problem is

      > best I can tell the png.c file is correct now - the actual fault is happening

      > within the png library - I need to compile a debugged version of that and see

      > who is really at fault (ie, are we not passing an appropriately sized structure

      > to it, or is libpng broken in some obscure way)

      Heh .. that would be a first: crossfire working but a supporting library is

      broken. Looks like it might be the case here though.

 I would double check what version of libpng you have.

 I can't reproduce the problem on my system anymore (libpng 1.0.8 - 1).  Heap
checks out just fine.  That didn't happen before.

 Under purify, the client on my sparc would crash with a non debugged libpng
(1.0.6).  However, when I compiled libpng 1.0.8 with debug information and ran
it under purify, not problems happened.  This debugged version was statically
linked.

 I then compiled libpng 1.0.8 on my sparc, optimized, installed it, and once
again, no problems (client still running under purify).

 So to me, this really points to me that some versions of libpng may be buggy.
I do notice that version 1.0.9 png has recently been released - I haven't
checked reliability of that release.