[CF-Devel] FW: rogue like games gfx (3rd)

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Wed Feb 14 00:44:42 CST 2001

 As a note, I've montaged the images and put them up at:

     http://tavern.santa-clara.ca.us/cf/

 Some of them look like they could be fairly direct replacement for objects
currently in crossfire (after conversion to from bmp to png, and creation of a
transperancy if necessary).

 My one main concern is that of consistency.  Its great the MichT has talked to
many artists and they are contributing images, but I think in some cases that
stylistically, the artists (and thus their images) differe.  While its pretty
easy to say 'this battle axe looks the best out of all the choices', if the hand
axe chosen is by someone different, and the sword by someone different still, I
wonder how that will really look.  Certainly, this is more important for objects
within the same class (for example, mixing images of this guys potions (on the
pxxx3.png image) with ours would probably reduce the overall image
effect/quality.

 I also notice that this fellow images have shadowing, which would probably need
to be removed/cleaned up.

 In summary - I think its great we are getting bunches of high quality images,
but we need to make sure the image set (or at least images within a type) are
consistent.

 Also, I really don't want to be the one responsible for image checkin/cleanup,
but I do think we need an image czar to make sure the image set does remain
consistent.  This is a great thing for people who want to help out in a non
programming manner.  Any volunteers?