[CF-Devel] new graphics

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Thu Feb 15 23:58:13 CST 2001

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      I just wanted to ask: Shall I start inserting the new graphics

      from Mitsuhiro and Marten into PNG set on cvs?

      Note that these pics will make our set a bit more inconsistent.

      Mainly because the new ones look so much more "professional" than

      the ones we currently have.

 Unless we do a wholesale checkin of a complete new image set, that will pretty
much happen no matter what.  And the png set is already inconsistent, so adding
a few more won't hurt - as long as it is on the way to consistency.

      There's also this little problem with prespective-"violation".

      But I think that is rather harmless: Most roguelikes seem to use

      a mix of different perspectives for walls/monsters, and we also

      did this in the xpm set. For example, replacing the remaining

      scaled-up monsters can hardly be a mistake...

 True.  But we should aim for one perspective - especially if artists are going
to draw new images for us - getting them all the same perspective is a good
thing.  I also think that if we don't get a consistency, we may have an issue of
one artist re-doing another artists work because of the perspective difference,
and that is just a waste of effort.

      Making instant use of the new tiles might also make the artists

      happy. Showing them that we really care about their work.

      Overall I believe using the new stuff would be an improvement

      to the set.

 I agree.  But at the same time, we do need to look at the end goal.  If artists
are giving us images with the wrong perspectively, we may want to gently say
that the perspective is wrong, and the current perspective is X.  While its nice
for the artists to see the immediate results, if we end up getting rid of images
they did or even say 'nope - sorry - don't like that image', you may very well
alienate that particular artist.