[CF-Devel] BIG error in arches - what a joke

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Fri Feb 16 00:10:56 CST 2001

Michael Toennies wrote:

      Hi

      As i telled some weeks ago the GreatDemon arch is broken.

      But peter say it is not... Well i saw him on my dxclient broken...

      Now i know why and its real a joke.

      As i look in the arches i saw this:

      GreatDemon.a11.png

      GreatDemon.A11.png

 Note that there are 42 animations for the great demon.  So after the letters
and number, there are still more than 6 animations that need to be covered.

      HAHA.

      Yes, under unix these are 2 different files.

 no problem there.

      Under windows (and mac and much more OS) they are NOT different!

 no problem there unless you plan to unpack the arch archive on a windows system
and then collect it.

      Windows file system is NOT case sensitive!!

      We must remove ASAP all case sensitive names from CF!

      For a first quick look i found only the GreatDemon..

      this must be changed to great_demon and the a11/A11 must be removed.

 The reason no one sees it is because the only place you will notice it is if
the client is caching images, runs on an OS that has case insenstive names, and
the client is written such that it knows this fact and does renaming on its own.

 The problem really is what alternate characters can reasonably be used for the
6 (in this case) other images.  Things like / and \ are out, as are probably :,

 In this case, we might be able to find 6 more (I thinkg _, {, }, =, -, % can
probably be used OK).

 Of course, if someone ever makes as 7x7 objects (49 images), finding 13 non
alphanumeric characters may be difficult.

 This is purely a client bug.  A simple fix for the client can be to take that
letter, convert it to hex, and save (and load) the filename that way.