[CF-Devel] Thoughts on partial protections

Pertti Karppinen (OH6KTR) pjka at cc.jyu.fi
Mon Feb 19 03:07:14 CST 2001

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 09:24:11PM -0800, Peter Mardahl wrote:

      In general, I think the partial protection code which Mark has done

      has been very beneficial.

      1)  I use protection spells now.  I never used them before.

      2)  Monsters can have (and have been given) greater protection vs.

          area effect spells instead of either useless 50% protection or

          total immunity.

      3)  Items are ever so much more interesting to mix-and-match for

          the desired protections profile.

      I can't think of any downside to the partial protections.

I can. With about 100 HP, I quaf down a potion of both cold and fire
resistance, after making earth walls around me but one direction, pull the
lever and have just enough time to cast word of recall to get out a live from
/pup_land/kurte/eureca_road1.
20 chinese dragon vs. 90% cold resistance is worth shit.
And as people in their great wisdom made spells non cumulative, You cannot
boost Your hp's with con spells. And potions are so rare, it takes ages to
get You con up to it's max.
--
BSc. Pertti Karppinen <

     pjka at iki.fi

     >                   |'Bridge Players |
Systems Designer, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland    |      Do        |

     http://www.iki.fi/~pjka/

      | Office  : +358 14 260 2088 |      It        |
HAM: OH6KTR QTH: KP22UF  | Cellular: +358 40 564 0786 | on the Table'  |