[CF-Devel] Thoughts on partial protections

dnh dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Mon Feb 19 01:19:05 CST 2001

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Peter Mardahl wrote:

      In general, I think the partial protection code which Mark has done

      has been very beneficial.

i completely agree.

      1)  I use protection spells now.  I never used them before.

Very very useful, as are holy possession and scrolls of protection.

      2)  Monsters can have (and have been given) greater protection vs.

          area effect spells instead of either useless 50% protection or

          total immunity.

Yup, I have noticed much balancing in regards to multitile monsters are
large area spells. I think perhaps someone should revise the cyclops and
its resistance to holy power/god power, mostrai carves them up.

      3)  Items are ever so much more interesting to mix-and-match for

          the desired protections profile.

Indeed, I tend to carry 2 copies of each of the elemental rings (ice,
fire, storm) plus various swords and shields =). I think it has added a
whole new flavour that is both challenging and exciting. Of course I have
noted it has become slightly easy in general as you can alot more
prepareing before hand with spells and armour and not have to worry so
much about potions running out.. (which was instant death).

      I can't think of any downside to the partial protections.

Slightly easier in some cases.. demons fall like flies I just wield a
demon slayer two rings of fire and starting running down greater demons...

dnh

      PeterM