[CF-Devel] Why do people hate wizards?

Rick Tanner leaf at real-time.com
Mon Feb 19 17:22:45 CST 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Pertti Karppinen (OH6KTR) wrote:

      I was just wondering, why do people hate wizards so much, that it has been

      unplayable?

      (Waiting for the cries and flames to calm down.)

      Yes unplayable.

      Most of You know what the 'ultimate' wizard stuff is: Wizard's hat, midnight

      robe and Staff of magi.

On a somewhat related topic to this, I agree the 'ultimate' items for a
wizard are the ones listed, plus a couple of other items.... ;)

Perhaps new equipment to compliment the wizard class is required.

Playing a warrior, you look around for some sort of armor that is +1, +2,
+3, etc. and you replace what you have on only when you find something
with a higher plus or better Armour value - until you get the dragon
scales to make Dragon Armour.  You run around with that until you get
something like Power Dragon Mail or Mithril Armour (the +1str, +1con
kind..) and then after that you try to obtain WDSM.

However, as a wizard - what does that character have to choose from when
they startat level 1 all the way until they are powerful enough to get the
Midnight Robe, Wizard hat, etc.?  Well, this is up for debate, but the
point I am trying to make here is there isn't much for a wizard to choose from in the
early and mid levels of the game.

Sure, they have rings of magic and ancient magic, but what about 'armour'?

There are gauntlets of Strength and gauntlets of Dexterity for the warrior
classes, but what does a wizard have? There are no gloves or gaunlets
(that I know of..) that improve spell casting or sp regeneration.  Same
goes for foot wear or belts.

Anyone agree or disagree on this?  Have their own thoughts to add?

- Rick Tanner

     leaf at real-time.com