[CF-Devel] Why do people hate wizards?

Pertti Karppinen (OH6KTR) pjka at cc.jyu.fi
Tue Feb 20 02:17:25 CST 2001

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 11:49:35AM -0800, Peter Mardahl wrote:

      > 2 Jessy's (Oppie&Fonz): 10000HP only, immune: physical, fire, cold,

      > confusion, acid, drain, ghosthit, poison, slow, paralyze and turn_undead.

      > 90% prot magic, vulnerable electricity and fear.

      Ball lightning OR  Divine shock OR  Directors and comet OR  Directors and

      cause wounds.  Create earth wall with the directors.

Ok and Ball lightning is such an easy spell to get, you had it on You?

      I did this on metalforge.real-time.com, using my gorokh-priest

      (who cannot cast healing spells).

Divine Shock is what You used I bet. It is way too powerful spell, and not
available for Mostrai's followers now is it?
Try to kill those monsters with 20 level magic and  power, let's say 28,
and directors and comets.
You need one BIG pile of magic power potions to do that.
And Your directors probably would need to be renewed a couple of times.

How about the Cyclops in the 2nd floor in the sister's maps.
I bumbed it with lightning and I tried comets and I tried bombs.
Nothing, nada, zip ... not a scratch.

      Now, what *I* am having trouble with is the FireTemple.  The

      damned second-to-last greater demon wouldn't die to ANYTHING

      I did to it.  :(

It isn't supposed to.

      Well, I killed them.  I just used divine shock instead.  I could

OK. tryi it withou divine shock, and see how 'easy' it with directors and
various wizard spells. Divine shock is god given spell, not available for
other gods, or am I mistaken.

      also have done it with build director, create earthwall, and spells

      like cause many wounds or comet or meteor storm.

Hah! "I also could fly, if I only had wings"

      To me, what you say sounds like you really want to be playing your

      wizard like a fighter--when the going gets tough, whip out that sword.

      I say that when suitable preparations are made,

      you can solve that quest without resorting to the sword at all,

      as a wizard.  I have done it.  Recently.  On metalforge.

Yup with DIVINE SHOCK. Not as a normal wizard.

      Furthermore, if you turn over enough rocks, you can find the potions

      you need.  Also, the random fountains in the random maps sometimes

      give stat points.

Yup, I've turned every rock in the game on our local server, been playing
for about a month now, and I have yet to find one potion of strength. I
haven't found even one spellbook of build director either, evevn after
visiting THE book shop three times.

      I'm afraid I must dismiss your claim that wizards are "unplayable."

      They are playable.  I've solved that map.

Again with DIVINE SHOCK, which is way too powerful a spell to begin with.
But I'm just a beginner wizard player, so I bow before gurus.

      Who has played BOTH a wizard-only player AND a fighter-only player?

      What say you?  Are fighter-only players lots easier?

      I pretty much only use wizards, so I cannot compare.  The last time

      I started a troll-barbarian, I quickly turned him into a semi-decent

      spellcaster.

See dnh's reply.
--
BSc. Pertti Karppinen <

     pjka at iki.fi

     >                   |'Bridge Players |
Systems Designer, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland    |      Do        |

     http://www.iki.fi/~pjka/

      | Office  : +358 14 260 2088 |      It        |
HAM: OH6KTR QTH: KP22UF  | Cellular: +358 40 564 0786 | on the Table'  |