[CF-Devel] [Fwd: Crossfire bugs ...]

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Mon Feb 19 21:30:19 CST 2001

Mark Wedel wrote:

      > 2. Client crash on 2nd window resize or on window unhide

      > When I resize the client window, it crashes very often (about 95% of

      > resize tries).

      > It also crashes when I first put another window in front of the client

     and

      > after that the client window back to front (or the other window to the

      > back).

      > Again it's a SIGSEGV.

      Another person has reported this, yet it works OK on my system.  So there

     is

      something out there, and I think te other user was also using Suse.  So it

      might be a bug there, or it could be with options the client is run with -

      don't know.

That other person was me. I strongly suspect the bug is OS-related.
I had this bug on every version of SuSE linux I ever had installed on my
local PC. I believe the worst part about this bug is the "bad impression"
you get from the client.

      > 6. Crossedit crashes when closing info window

      > This bug is not so important to me since I don't use crossedit to create

      > maps, I write my own perl scripts or Java programs to do that. (I will

      > release them as soon as they are okay to be used by others. If you want

      > have a look at them, just drop me a line.)

      Any map tools you contribute to the probject would be useful.  Fact is,

      crossedit is not all the heavily maintained - I don't think many of the

      current developers know it that well, and most new developers probably

     don't

      have the Xt toolkit high on their list of things to learn.

This bug is really bad and severe. It seems to be OS-related as well. I have
checked this one with debugger and found out that the core dump happens in
one
of the Xaw graphic library routines (SuSE linux 7.0).
Together with the broken pick-arch scrollbar in the main window, crossedit
is currently in a state close to "unusable", for my system. And it's not
like SuSE systems would be rare... =/

Best I could manage was disabling the buttons on the info windows.
Once opened, I must leave them open till I quit CE.
Sorry, I know it doesn't help much to complain - Just in hope that I might
inspire somebody to write a new editor. =]

Andreas V.