[CF-Devel] Why do people hate wizards?

Pertti Karppinen (OH6KTR) pjka at cc.jyu.fi
Mon Feb 19 03:31:26 CST 2001

I was just wondering, why do people hate wizards so much, that it has been
unplayable?
(Waiting for the cries and flames to calm down.)
Yes unplayable.
Most of You know what the 'ultimate' wizard stuff is: Wizard's hat, midnight
robe and Staff of magi.
Now to get those items, one has to kill, (from the end outwards):

2 Jessy's (Oppie&Fonz): 10000HP only, immune: physical, fire, cold,
confusion, acid, drain, ghosthit, poison, slow, paralyze and turn_undead.
90% prot magic, vulnerable electricity and fear.

4 demon lords: 5000 hp only, immune fire and fear, 90% resistance godpower
and holyword, 95% cold, 80% magic.

4 Dragon lords: one 5000 hp only, rest 3500 hp only, immune: fire,
electricity, cold, acid, drain, poison, slow, paralyze and fear,
30% resistance physical and confusion.

8 demilich and a lich.

10 electric, 10 red and 10 chinise dragons.

A wizard that can do all those kills, needs those items as much as a fish
needs a bicycle.

I mean, I have 18million points lvl 28(?), I have str 12. With str spell I
can get a whooping str 17. I have yet to find my first str potion.

Back, when wizards were still playable, one could, with enough spellpoints,
get str near 30 and with immunity potions one could kill those jessys and
dragonmen with a big weapon. Now this is no longer possible.

Well ,perhaps I have played this game enough allready, perhaps it's time to
find some other game, that let's me play wizard again.
Angband/tk looks quite good actually.
--
BSc. Pertti Karppinen <

     pjka at iki.fi

     >                   |'Bridge Players |
Systems Designer, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland    |      Do        |

     http://www.iki.fi/~pjka/

      | Office  : +358 14 260 2088 |      It        |
HAM: OH6KTR QTH: KP22UF  | Cellular: +358 40 564 0786 | on the Table'  |