[CF-Devel] current server-code is still totally broken!

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Mon Feb 26 10:01:59 CST 2001

Mark W. wrote:

      I've just checked in some changes which I believe fix this.

      At least the previous crashes (which I was able to reproduce)

      no longer happen.

Well, the server doesn't crash, but about 20 seconds after I
log on with a player, my connection is killed. This happens
*always*, so I actually wonder how Mark could "overlook" it? =)
(Of course this happened with the server from latest CVS).

The problem happens on the "/HallOfSelection" map. When a player logs
on to the server, a player object is created on that map, for
some weird reason (I suspect this is a kinda copy of my own player). I
can even see that "ghost player" standing on the pentagram while
typing in my user password! (I am NOT creating a new character, and I
play local - alone!).
Well, the game works fine but only till the moment where it tries
to save (and swap out) the HallOfSelection. In that second, the
server realizes that some mess is going on and kills all objects
that he doesn't like. My real player-object gets removed in this
proccess, thus brutely killing my connection.

Here is my server log:

[...]
LOGIN: Player named red_blaze from ip 127.0.0.1
Saving map /HallOfSelection
Player on map that is being saved
Player on map that is being saved
Object squizez another object:
arch warrior
name red_blaze
race human
slaying demon
face warrior.151
animation warrior
[...
 <whole attribute-list of player struct "red_blaze" follows>
 ...]
end

arch flagstone
name flagstone
face flagstone.111
x 14
y 22
no_pick 1
is_floor 1
end

free_all_objects: Link error, bailing out.
make_path_tofile
/usr/games/crossfire/var/crossfire/players/(null)/(null).pl...Was not dir...
LOGOUT: Player named (null) from ip 127.0.0.1      /* <-- "logout"? ha ha =)
*/
Trying to free freed object.
arch warrior
face warrior.151
animation warrior
is_animated 0
Str 23
[...
 <Attribute-list of arch "warrior" follows>
 ...]
end

Waiting for connections...    /* <-- note that the server did not die! */