[CF-Devel] Armour encumberance to speed.

dnh dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Tue Feb 27 21:05:58 CST 2001

This morning I had a thought about how we currently handle the speed
limits that are imposed via armour.

The discussion formed because Philc was annoyed that only +1 AC was added
from getting to 30 Dex (instead of 29) where as 30 Pow has a massive
difference along with Con. I pointed out that Dex is mostly used only for
speed and that is it mostly useless beyond a certain amount because armour
has set max speeds attached (exceptive speed bonus (boots of speed etc)).

I suggest that instead of making an upper limit to top speed we impose a
ratio. It will be based roughly on standard dex stats (about 20) for each
item, but instead of stopping when you reach (1.73 for example with PDM)
it keeps going. So at say Dex of 30 a player may be able to move at 2.8
(completely arbitrary).

This has a few draw backs though, firstly it will make the player more
powerful and already we are starting to make things just alittle too easy
for warriors as I am sure roWer will point out. Secondly it may make some
items suddenly unbalanced (unavoidable really with a change such as this)
but I feel many items still need alot of basic revision (powermail for
example I feel is slightly to powerful compared to the wizards
counterpart, midnight robe.

Regardless I think this should be added to CVS and such issues then be
looked at, if we spend five years discussing every minor change, things
which may in the future add a great amount of fun may be ruled out simply
because they are;

a) to hard to do
b) create a large long term amount of work
c) don't _feel_ right to some people (for example I think removing .xpms
still isn't 100% agreed on not because .png isn't better but because it
just doesn't seem right to remove all the xpms).

I can probably make this armour change but I just felt important to make
that point. I understand most if not _ALL_ crossfire-dev people are quite
busy living their lives (I know I am), but we aren't up to version 1 yet
=).

dnh