[CF-Devel] Sound/s

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Tue Jan 2 22:52:31 CST 2001

     dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au

      wrote:

      I have just met a fine fellow on irc who was once a sound recordist. He

      informs me that there may well be some sounds of combat he has on tape

      that he has used for presentations etc. I am wondering if we are

      interested in these free professional sounds? In particular sounds of

      swords ringing and hitting. Adding a simple one line if player hits play

      sound to the server which then chooses one of a random (10 or so perhaps)

      combat sounds would add a nice feel. I remember MichToen was doing

      something along these lines. Well tell me if you are interested, I will

      recieve the sounds anyway and tell you of their quality and use later.

 Presuming that it is OK to redistribute them (ie, someone doesn't claim
ownership on them), I say go for it.

 Worst case is that we don't find the sounds useful.

 But what I would really like would be not as much combat sounds as sounds for
other things, like the gates/stoneblocks/other features moving.  That could
really add something to the game - you pull the handle, and even though you
can't see it, you can hear the sound of the stoneblock moving.

 Support for those is another matter, and the sound scheme probably needs to be
completely redone for 2.0 (all sounds are currently hardcoded, so combat sounds,
for example, can not easily be tuned depending on if you are using a staff vs
sword).  I would much rather have sound information in the objects with hints on
how to use it (ie, applying/unapplying a sword would have a differnent sound
compared to when you are using it.)