[CF-Devel] Collect them all! (god code)

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Fri Jan 5 22:29:44 CST 2001

Jan Echternach wrote:

      I'm not sure how the marker object can identify the special item.

      Maybe all items given by god_gives_present() need their own archetype,

      and the archetype name is stored in the marker object (but not in

      marker->other_arch, because you may want to remove a special item

      completely, and the server wouldn't like the ->other_arch references

      anymore).

 The most foolproof way might be to add something like FLAG_HOLY_RELIC for those
god given items. Then you can just hunt the inventory and remove those.

 such a flag could also have other potential uses.

 While I know that backward compatibility is not a big issue now, looking to see
if the god gives out the item and then remove it doesn't work really well if the
god is tuned such that they no longer do give out that special item.  So I think
its certainly better for the object itself to have a hint about what should
happen to it rather than trying to look at the old god and determine
appropriateness.

 More practical would not just be for those old items to get removed, but for
the new god to re-consecrate them with his powers (perhaps weaker version).

 but it seems like there are lots of issues to work out with changing gods.  One
valid question is should this even be allowed?  It seems like it would make
things a lot simpler if once you choose a god, you have to stick with it.  If
you want to player worshipping another god, start another character.  AFter all,
we don't let you switch classes after you start, and many games have it such
that once you make a decision about that, you need to stick with it.