[CF-Devel] 2 x 2 avatars

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Fri Jan 12 00:24:15 CST 2001

dnh wrote:

      You can't cast them unless you have at least 2 squares free completely

      surrounding the player, they show up invisible tiles if they walk over

      them and you can't swap places with them (like a 1 x 1 avatar). Not only

      this, but even if you could cast it, these things take 4 times the damage,

      and can't go down most corridors. I would say we really need to revise

      these things, either

 It should be possible to change it so that the player only needs to have a 2x2
space next to him somewhere when he casts the spell.

      a) remove them completely (in the case of Gaea an idea for that has

      popuped up, werecreatures).

      b) do some serious thinking about how we can make 2 x 2 avatars useful.

      c) remove them completely.

      d) leave them alone.

      e) replace them with 1 x 1 versions.

      I would tend to head for b) first, what can we do to make them useful?

      well obviously we could just give them ALOT more hp and speed etc but that

      just doesn't sit right with me. AV tells me he would go for c) or e) (his

      exact words were "do away with"). Changing them to 1 x 1 avatars seems to

      easiest way to me, but destroys that whole idea perhaps abit drastic?

 The problem is a lot of maps are simply 2x2 unfriendly.  Most of the random
maps also fall into that category.

 Note that avatars are really the earthly versions of the gods - I don't see any
reason they can't be all 1x1.  Most gods are usually much larger than the
mortals, so it could be argued that most/all should be quite bit.

 I also think 1x1 versions will also be much easier to tune/balance between the
gods, as they are are normalized relative to each other.

 And unless the maps get fixed up, balancing the avatars in terms of hp still
only works to a limited fashion as big avatars will just be less useful simply
because they will be usuable on fewer maps.