[CF-Devel] The Monk

dnh dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Fri Jan 12 06:03:53 CST 2001

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Mark Wedel wrote:

      Peter Mardahl wrote:

      > In the past, I've argued against "guilds", because I didn't want

      > the code so intertwined with the mapset:  i.e., you have to have

      > the monk guild map present in the set or monks won't be fully implemented.

       I agree to some extent.  It also creates a problem that either you need

      multiple guilds, or need to wander to wherever the guild is located to get your

      abilities, which could also be annoying.

Agreed. I know Realmz (great fantasy game by fantasoft) just hands out
special attributes (like magic resistances (done by level) and regen
points faster). I wouldn't like to see guilds.. to much work for little
gain.

      > However, I like this idea better than special-case code in the server

      > itself.   We can enhance the "player changer" to grant slightly better

      > monk-skills every level by operating on a hypothetical monk's player force.

       The other problem is that if its in the code, you starting having to put many

      checks whenever the player gains a level.  Something that happens on player

      action is probably more efficient in that regard also.

mmmpf. In this regard adding items is easier. Giving a player and
invisible item that does something by stepping on a teleporter is the
easiest, because you can easily track where the player is at.  None the
less, I think some things are best done/given via hard code, than via
player changes (which are slightly messy). Being able to say, "A monk
gains speed much more rapidly than a normal character" is better than "A
monk can gain faster speed by completeing challenges".

      > We could similarly have a "molting center" for the Quetzalcoatl, and

      > a "rekindler" for the fireborn.

I like the rekindler and molting. Infact you could actually make those two
"grow". AV I know has already thought of this, actually making Qs grow up
into bigger nastier creatures is a cool idea.

 Perhaps these places could ask questions

      > or set quests for access to the upgrades.

       True - I know someone was commenting about special quest maps for certain

      classes or gods - it could work in this also -  return item XXXX from the map

      and you get promoted to super monk or the like and gain the ability.

Well this is like peterms scorn quests, hands it to the player directly.

       I would still like to have some level check, simply so someone can't give you

      that special item (being it may not be useful for them if they're not that

      class) to prevent low level people from getting too powerful.

Erk messy. If a player can complete something, it should be worthy of the
upgrade regardless.

      > I'm not willing to do the maps, but I'll hack the new abilities

      > into the player changer.

       Depending how this is done, the maps could be pretty simple (same complexity as

      say the temples), but if you tie that to quests, then it gets more complicated

      as quests either need to be updated or created.

Well yeah, we already sort of do that by adding certain monsters. Dragons
are easier to kill with magic, Shadow tigers have to really be killed by
hand thus warriors do the maps with shadow tigers, and wizards to the maps
with dragons.. to a certain extent.

dnh

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com