[CF-Devel] The Monk

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Fri Jan 12 00:46:11 CST 2001

Peter Mardahl wrote:

      In the past, I've argued against "guilds", because I didn't want

      the code so intertwined with the mapset:  i.e., you have to have

      the monk guild map present in the set or monks won't be fully implemented.

 I agree to some extent.  It also creates a problem that either you need
multiple guilds, or need to wander to wherever the guild is located to get your
abilities, which could also be annoying.

      However, I like this idea better than special-case code in the server

      itself.   We can enhance the "player changer" to grant slightly better

      monk-skills every level by operating on a hypothetical monk's player force.

 The other problem is that if its in the code, you starting having to put many
checks whenever the player gains a level.  Something that happens on player
action is probably more efficient in that regard also.

      We could similarly have a "molting center" for the Quetzalcoatl, and

      a "rekindler" for the fireborn.  Perhaps these places could ask questions

      or set quests for access to the upgrades.

 True - I know someone was commenting about special quest maps for certain
classes or gods - it could work in this also -  return item XXXX from the map
and you get promoted to super monk or the like and gain the ability.

 I would still like to have some level check, simply so someone can't give you
that special item (being it may not be useful for them if they're not that
class) to prevent low level people from getting too powerful.

      I'm not willing to do the maps, but I'll hack the new abilities

      into the player changer.

 Depending how this is done, the maps could be pretty simple (same complexity as
say the temples), but if you tie that to quests, then it gets more complicated
as quests either need to be updated or created.