[CF-Devel] talisman & holy symbol

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Wed Jan 17 21:59:45 CST 2001

Michael Toennies wrote:

      Hi

      Hm, if you have the skills you will not apply the talisman or the holy

      symbol

      in your backpack.

      Was this not fixed some times ago? How its appear again?

      Or was i wrong? I just wonder.

 It was changed a little while ago so that it will not apply a talisman/holy
symbol if you have the skill to cast the spells without it.  I think this is
probably the right behaviour IMO.

      Well, in any cases a char should be apply his symbol/talisman also

      when he has the skill. Because this is the way he can use special

      items like holy symbol of fire god for example.

 The problem is that their are talismans out there that repel/deny spellpaths,
and you certainly don't want to use the talisman if it makes your spell casting
worse.

 However, at the time we are checking for skills/talismans is before we do
really any of the spellcasting code, so we really don't know if the talisman
will help/hurt the casting of the spell.

 To make this work perfectly, code would be added that finds the spellpath of
the desired spell (and makes sure the character knows the spell), then go and
check the inventory for the best casting aid for that spell (attuned, then no
plus/minus, then repelled, then denied), and then go and cast the spell.

 It might be a matter of playing preferance if the server should do all of that
for you.  After all, the player should play the game.

 It could be equally handy to have the server do many actions at certain points
(spell points = 0, drink that magic power potion or apply that crystal.  hp <
10?  drink that healing potion/cast a healing spell, etc).  This would be
convenient and make the game easier to play, but would probably prove less
interesting.

 It could be argued that having the server eat food for you if food == 0 should
probably be removed.  Player should take responsibility for eating on their
own.  Plus, auto eat sometimes eats poision, which may be less desirable than
losing the hp from starving.