[CF-Devel] talisman & holy symbol

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Thu Jan 18 03:33:22 CST 2001

Make it not so complicate.
Just apply the first talisman/symbol in your inventory you find.
If the player has different he must put it in a bag.
(if he doesn't have a bag he has a problem, but then he has both in hand or
so, so we should not care).

The point is a different one:

Its now a feature when you don't have the priest/wiz skill.
And a malus when you have the skill.

Look for the holy symbol of the firegod, giving pow/wis +2.

Without "auto apply when skill is set on" i start all times a char without
priest
skill and i avoid all times to learn the skill. He will auto apply nicely
the symbol.

With skill, you can't do it right in action, you don't have the time.
But the guy without skill will get with every priest action automatically
the bonus.

Thats somewhat stupid. To have the wiz/priest skills will now be a malus.
(and getting every priest action a +wies/pow+2 bonus IS a big bonus).

To avoid this we should simply turn on the auto apply also when the char has
not
the skill. This will not hurt him.

And if the guy is not intelligent enough to drop a bad talisman/symbol who
denied his
best spells or putting it in a bag, well, let him die. ;)

      > Hm, if you have the skills you will not apply the talisman or the holy

      > symbol

      > in your backpack.

      > Was this not fixed some times ago? How its appear again?

      > Or was i wrong? I just wonder.

       It was changed a little while ago so that it will not apply a

      talisman/holy

      symbol if you have the skill to cast the spells without it.  I

      think this is

      probably the right behaviour IMO.

      > Well, in any cases a char should be apply his symbol/talisman also

      > when he has the skill. Because this is the way he can use special

      > items like holy symbol of fire god for example.

       The problem is that their are talismans out there that

      repel/deny spellpaths,

      and you certainly don't want to use the talisman if it makes your

      spell casting

      worse.

       However, at the time we are checking for skills/talismans is before we do

      really any of the spellcasting code, so we really don't know if

      the talisman

      will help/hurt the casting of the spell.

       To make this work perfectly, code would be added that finds the

      spellpath of

      the desired spell (and makes sure the character knows the spell),

      then go and

      check the inventory for the best casting aid for that spell

      (attuned, then no

      plus/minus, then repelled, then denied), and then go and cast the spell.

       It might be a matter of playing preferance if the server should

      do all of that

      for you.  After all, the player should play the game.

       It could be equally handy to have the server do many actions at

      certain points

      (spell points = 0, drink that magic power potion or apply that

      crystal.  hp <

      10?  drink that healing potion/cast a healing spell, etc).  This would be

      convenient and make the game easier to play, but would probably prove less

      interesting.

       It could be argued that having the server eat food for you if

      food == 0 should

      probably be removed.  Player should take responsibility for

      eating on their

      own.  Plus, auto eat sometimes eats poision, which may be less

      desirable than

      losing the hp from starving.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com